Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187337 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #540 on: May 24, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
The most recent version of Icon will allow you access to different zones (vary depending on the origin you choose) at the end of character creation.  You probably just need to grab the new download.

OOOHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYY must check out!!

TheMindfulFool

• Underling
« Reply #541 on: May 24, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
I've been going through MMOs, trying to find a good fit. TSW is okay but it's really not holding my interest too much. It's a decent time filler, but at the end of the day, it's no CoH.

Actually, a few of my friends from CoH are going to start running a table top using some site someone found called Roll20. It's a webservice made for table top. We're going to play a few of our old characters using a system called BASH or Mutants and Masterminds. So, hopefully that'll happen soon. We'll certainly enjoy getting back on Etoile!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #542 on: May 25, 2013, 12:33:15 AM »
Imagination is a wonderful thing.   I don't think I actually played with very many of the people I have seen posting here, but I do recall seeing some of them.

I can and do imagine entire adventures with people I never actually adventured with....and it brings a smile to my face :)

Like you, I have met a number of terrific former CoH players here on Titan.   When we get our City back, even if none of my former SGmates return (and I feel certain many would) there are people here I definitely plan to team up with just based on how they are on Titan Network forums.  As my former SG Leader often reminded us, "You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!"  Thanks, Titans!  Stay SUPER!!!!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #543 on: May 25, 2013, 01:22:21 AM »
Ok, now I can get into AP or Nerva..... joyousness.

How are you guys flying, though? I am completely earthbound.... although I am enjoying even that. Its a little lonely with no music or NPCs, but I am not complaining.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #544 on: May 25, 2013, 02:22:44 AM »
Press 1 for flight
press 2 for hold torch

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #545 on: May 25, 2013, 02:46:19 AM »
Press 1 for flight
press 2 for hold torch

Thank you so much. Flew all over Nerva, the zone music almost made me cry.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #546 on: May 25, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
Press 1 for flight
press 2 for hold torch
Thank you! This is wonderful! Was about to ask how, also.
Thanks again! Off to fly!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #547 on: May 25, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »
Thank you! This is wonderful! Was about to ask how, also.
Thanks again! Off to fly!
I'm not brave enough yet.  I'm afraid doing this will make me really sad and it took me long enough to get over losing City of Heroes the first time; however, I am very happy that other Titans are able to enjoy this!  Yay and thanks!  (Here's hoping in time I feel brave enough to fly again online.)   :(
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #548 on: May 25, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
I'm not brave enough yet.  I'm afraid doing this will make me really sad and it took me long enough to get over losing City of Heroes the first time; however, I am very happy that other Titans are able to enjoy this!  Yay and thanks!  (Here's hoping in time I feel brave enough to fly again online.)   :(

Do it. Its very soothing.

Plus you get to take more screenies of your characters.

If we could go to more than one zone, I would spend a lot of time just flying all over the place.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #549 on: May 25, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »

I have been thinking the same thing, but maybe I should listen to the other folks here and give it a try.

Where do I find this again?  It's a standalone download and not just something in my old CoH folder, right?

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #550 on: May 25, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html

Open your C drive, "program files"  then City of Heroes and there should be a blue Icon symbol. I usually use the desktop icon though.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:53:20 PM by Illusionss »

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #551 on: May 25, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
Yep, like they said... answered just a tad too late.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #552 on: May 25, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »
Thanks folks!

That was...interesting.  It didn't make me sad as I had feared, but it didn't really do anything terribly positive for me either.  It was like a weird dream when you are in a place but it's not really that place.

The one thing that came home quite clearly from walking around Atlas was how much hope I still have that CoH will return someday.  I know the odds are very much against it, but nothing can quite extinguish that little /e holdtorch inside me.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #553 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
I think it's wonderful! Recreating each alt. Then running, jumping, and flying all over their respective areas.
You are rather like the Omega Man, blowing trash included, but it is nice.  :)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #554 on: May 25, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »
Omega Man, lol.

I never realized how much I counted on the presence of other people. Even if you were actually alone in a zone, the chat channels were almost always humming, so you knew other people were around even if not seeing them at the moment.

Without even NPCs, it IS pretty eerie. But its still worth doing, IMO. Even if just so you can fly for a while.

I keep looking around thinking, "Is it safe to land here and take a few pix, I'm a level 1" but then it hits me again: there is no one here. Good or bad.... nobody.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #555 on: May 26, 2013, 12:24:19 AM »

I wound up feeling like Henry Bemis from the Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough at Last"... being able to return to a place I'd loved, but finding it just a shell of what it had been without the occupants that brought it to life.

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #556 on: May 26, 2013, 01:40:27 AM »
I checked out from Paragon City about a year or so before it closed down. Cimmerora didn't appeal to me, and none of the Roman stuff. Going Rogue sealed the deal for me, it's like they kept adding more and more new characters, without tending the characters that already exist.

Something else that disappointed me was so many story threads always left unresolved. It got to the point where it was irritating. I wanted to know more about the Shadow Shard, I wanted to know more about The Coming Storm. I wanted to know so much more about the stories that ALREADY existed, and they just kept starting new ones instead of resolving the old ones.

With Ouroboros existing and allowing us to explain away leaving old content in the game, I saw no excuse for this. So, frustrated, I left. Then the big "no talk of other video games" forum purge took me out of the only part of the game that I thought was worth paying for - the forums. Then, I didn't leave Paragon City - Paragon City left me.

So, I started my own place. And so far, it's done pretty well.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #557 on: May 26, 2013, 01:49:37 AM »
I checked out from Paragon City about a year or so before it closed down. Cimmerora didn't appeal to me, and none of the Roman stuff. Going Rogue sealed the deal for me, it's like they kept adding more and more new characters, without tending the characters that already exist.

Something else that disappointed me was so many story threads always left unresolved. It got to the point where it was irritating. I wanted to know more about the Shadow Shard, I wanted to know more about The Coming Storm. I wanted to know so much more about the stories that ALREADY existed, and they just kept starting new ones instead of resolving the old ones.

With Ouroboros existing and allowing us to explain away leaving old content in the game, I saw no excuse for this. So, frustrated, I left. Then the big "no talk of other video games" forum purge took me out of the only part of the game that I thought was worth paying for - the forums. Then, I didn't leave Paragon City - Paragon City left me.

So, I started my own place. And so far, it's done pretty well.

I feel ya. I left for different reasons mostly with all the IO and grind stuff and incarnate. It was like they just threw out what made COX different from the rest of the grind fantasy games out of the window in the end game. And the ever increasing gambling for everything. Just wasnt fun for me anymore. I might as went to Vegas and played WoW between dice rolls because that is how COX started to feel to me. But nonetheless it was an over all good game and I wish to see it back though, even if it was like the way it was in the end and I never return to it personally, at least the ones that do like it can enjoy it. 

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #558 on: May 26, 2013, 04:42:11 AM »
Do it. Its very soothing.

Plus you get to take more screenies of your characters.

If we could go to more than one zone, I would spend a lot of time just flying all over the place.
Okay!  You talked me into it, Illusionss.  I'll give this a try after I get home from church tomorrow.  (Feeling extra brave now and confident even!  *cues hero theme music before going to bed.*)   Have a super evening, Titan Network!  Cya sometime tomorrow, maybe as early as tomorrow evening, since I'll be "learning to fly" all over again.  (Guess what song by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers I'll be posting over at the Titan "What Song Are You Listening To Now?" thread.)   ;)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #559 on: May 26, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »
I have now flown in Atlas Park!   :)   I recreated one of my blasters and was very happy that I could Load costumes from my saved costumes files.   :) (Even bigger smile if possible.)  I also did a bit of /em holdtorch with the 2 key.  If felt odd seeing Ms. Liberty's dais empty, nor being able to access City Hall, Fort Trident, the Train Station, etc., as well as seeing Wentworth's empty.  Odd also to fly just above AP warehouses and NOT get zapped for nuisance damage by the frisky Clockwork, and odd for the parks to be devoid of Hellions and hapless citizens, but it was so good to see the City again and be able to regular run (no Sprint or other power activation options yet that I could see), jump, swim in the lake, and FLY!!!!!  Wooot!!!!

Next, I'll have to make a Vigilante from the Going Rogue origin, skip the tutorial and (I believe) pop into Pocket D (which will feel very weird if empty; however, I'm told from Pocket D, one can access the Chalet in Wonderland and go skiing!!!!  I'm also told one cannot as yet get from Pocket D to Imperial City/Praetoria but Hats Off to Codewalker and/or other Titans involved in this minor miracle!!!!  THANK YOU for giving me back my avatars and their original costumes and for letting them FLY, run, jump and swim (without power activation just defaults) to see at least some of our beloved City!   8)