Author Topic: Discussion: New Titan Network Terms of Service  (Read 10909 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Discussion: New Titan Network Terms of Service
« on: December 26, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
The Titan Network is pleased to announce that we finally have Terms of Service. The Titan Network Terms of Service are available on our main website at:

http://cohtitan.com/terms

These terms apply to all Titan Network websites, including these forums. At the moment none of our sites link to the terms, but we will be fixing that in the near future.

To discuss this announcement, please see Discussion: New Titan Network Terms of Service.

Please feel free to discuss the new Terms of Service below. Questions, comments, or concerns are welcome.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Discussion: New Titan Network Terms of Service
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
If you don't highlight what has changed I don't think you'll get feedback.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »
We didn't have any terms of service before. So consider the whole thing highlighted. :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »
Congratulations!

I think this is the first time I've ever read all the way through anyone's terms of service.

Nothing here bothers me in particular.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:06:57 AM by saipaman »

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »
*blinks* Clear, concise and in PLAIN English?!?  Won't you get in trouble with the TOS Writers Union?

I really like this bit:

"Privacy
Although we take reasonable precautions against divulging personal information and will not deliberately disclose personal data submitted to the Titan Network to third parties, we cannot guarantee that it will not happen due to accidents, hacking activity of others, or other circumstances beyond our control. As with all sites, please take care in what personal information, if any, you submit to this site, including all comments, images, passwords, locations, and names.
The Titan Network does however reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected by our sites or services) in the event of legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of our sites or services.
The Titan Network also reserves the right to confirm identities in cases where there is evidence of a history of stalking."

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
All seems logical and without controversy.  Licensing section was well written.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
We didn't have any terms of service before. So consider the whole thing highlighted. :)
Well that really simplifies the diff.  ;D
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 02:34:30 AM »
"For all other user content contributed to our sites, you grant the Titan Network a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, and display your content as part of the normal functioning of the Titan Network's sites and services"

Which 'you' is being referred to here?  This isn't an agreement between two parties, i.e. between Titan and (Me or Father or anyone else).  This 'you' is not specified, and could mean the person reading it, or the person contributing, or the person who is trying to find out who used their stuff(tm).

I would change it to say "the submitter" to be more clear on this.

---

Also 'Stuff like that' as put forth in the Obcenity clause is probably not legal enough.  Just sayin'. ;)

There's more, but I'll stop now.  :D

/Yes, pedantry is a specialty of mine.. but then legal crap is so pedantic it's horrid.  If you're tryin' to cover your collective butts, pedantry is *required*.  Heh.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 06:03:17 AM »
I'm honestly not too worried about the legalities of the issue.  I'd rather it be readable with only a minuscule chance that we successfully get sued over something stupid than for it to be 15 pages long and a mess to reduce that minuscule chance by 0.001%.  The long and short of it is, we're not secretly selling your information or tracking you for marketing purposes (we do keep some logs in case we're hacked or need to track down sockpuppets or stalkers); we'll diligently avoid doing stupid stuff and we ask everyone to extend us the same courtesy.  ;)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:26 PM »
So, basically... you're going to be able to sell my forum avatar for profit without any recompense to me?
BWAAAHHH... /ragequit

;D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:13 PM »
I would like to reiterate that I would never ask TonyV to sell your forum avatar.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:04 AM »
I would like to reiterate that I would never ask TonyV to sell your forum avatar.
How prophetic of you!
 :o
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »
I like this ToS best:

"We're not secretly selling your information or tracking you for marketing purposes. We'll diligently avoid doing stupid stuff and we ask everyone to extend us the same courtesy."

Gilliam

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »
As a person who is usually in the habit of reading ToS throughly before doing stuff , this one is clear, precise, and kept me at ease. Even feel comfortable enough to maybe post a real life pic in the Real life pic section now, assuming that I can find a pic as only about a dozen of me are in existance and half is in a box in my closet, aa little less than half is from childhood (still tracking down and confiscating a few from various relatives but low priority) and couple of random ones on the camera. None are more recent than 2006. (Just really dont like taking pictures much.)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »
Are you on a public computer or something? PayPal itself will "helpfully" populate the login box with the most-recently-used e-mail address. If that's what you're seeing, then there's nothing we can do about that short of bust down the doors of PayPal HQ and make them change it.

Not saying I'm volunteering for anything, but I am within driving distance (it's just outside of Omaha) and have certain less-than-socially-acceptable skills. Also, I've gotten into some surprising places with a clipboard and a name tag. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
What's this about donations?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »
What's this about donations?

Didn't you read the Terms of Service? ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »
Didn't you read the Terms of Service? ;)

of course. but what I meant to say or rather should have asked, was is paypal the only way?

DoD seems to consider, iirc from mid 2011 policy, pay pal to be high risk website although I havent seen anything unnerving in their policies. I have no problem or see a problem with pay-pal just wondering why it's considered a high risk site. I'm going to run it by my infamous friend who sometimes and many times spot "problems" in privacy policies that sometimes I dont catch (paying her a visit today anyways. Another topic for us to talk about.)

What I'm getting at, I'm going to donate something one way or another even if I have to plan a trip and put it into Tony V hand himself one day.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:54:49 PM by JaguarX »