Author Topic: Disney Closes LucasArts  (Read 4051 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Re: Disney Closes LucasArts
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
When my wife told me about this today, my first reaction was to ask,"On what date was that article posted?" I couldn't believe it wasn't an April 1 joke.

There's something eerily disturbing about this.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
Before they bought Lucusfilms et al Disney did close their own game studio.  Maybe they decided it's better to simply license out their IP and have all the risk of success or failure on 3rd party studios.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
A large chunk of my childhood died today.  Hell, a large chunk of my 20s died today.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
Heh, I did double check the article's date, just to be sure. Although, I can't say I'm totally surprised (LA has not been a very successful maker of good video games in a while), but it still is a bit historically monumental.

Long live Monkey Island...
And they really did have quite a few other titles that I have enjoyed over the years. Even some that got a lot of bad flak, I found to love, such as Masters Of Tera Kesai (once we unlocked Vader, we realized that the lightsasber duels were enormously fun and one of the most enjoyable fighter style games up to that point). The Jedi Knight games were also rather popular. JKii perhaps even more so for the amazing modding community, in my opinion, but still... it was the game that made that possible.

Hopefully, this is actually a good thing overall... in that they will turn to quality video game creators to make better games for the IPs...
Why Indiana Jones games haven't been better and/or bigger... I don't know.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
I remember playing the snot out of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. (I even still have an X-Wing polo shirt.) Dark Forces was a lot of fun, too.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
Played the fool out of Dark Forces and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.  Sad.  :(

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »
I've actually been meaning to install and play Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine since the shutdown announcement.
I remember enjoying it and I never actually completed it. Thought it might serve as a bit of fun.

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »
I remember playing the snot out of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. (I even still have an X-Wing polo shirt.) Dark Forces was a lot of fun, too.
When I wasn't playing those in college, other people who lived on my floor in the dorms were on my computer playing them.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »

Oh I loved that game. Multiplayer campaign mode back when we had LAN parties. Oh yeah, good times.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 01:32:19 AM »
I've been waiting for fricking ever for a remake of X-wing/TIE-fighter, with proper multiplayer fleet battle support. Ugh...

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:41:22 AM »
By way of Jeff Gerstmann over on tumblr(if anyone knows shit going on inside the game industry, it's probably him), Lucasarts was suffering a lot of big problems over the past few years, with rotating management.

A new studio lead would come in, force progress to halt on all projects while they examined them, cancel about 3/4ths of everything in development, start up a bunch of new projects, then get replaced by someone else who would do the whole thing all over again a few months later.  Over and over and over.  The few games that managed to get out were basically miracles.

So, knowing that, it's not a big surprise Disney is shutting them down.  Hopefully other companies are going to be able to licence some of the more obscure properties to use them, though, like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle, should anyone with good ideas for those arise.
green hair

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 01:57:47 AM »
Given those facts, I can't blame 'em on the business side of things. But I still think it's short-sighted. Disney could also have taken a stance of harsher oversight (or should we say even harsher oversight), if they had decided that the brand name was worth just as much (if not more) than any of the projects currently in the pipeline. Which is exactly what they should have done. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

Some people around here (for good reason) have thrown around the term 'ivory tower executives'. Maybe that's at play here too. These people can be GREAT management, but will still have a disadvantage if they don't know anything about intrinsic value. But that's more often the specialty of the committed audience members.

When I walk into a store and see a box with the Lucas Arts logo, I pick it up. Doesn't matter if I see the title of the game or a picture signifying subject matter. It has nothing to do with the merits of the game. I pick that box up firstly because I see it has "Lucas Arts" on it.

Your loss, Disney!  ;)

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 03:36:44 AM »
This ISN'T an April Fool joke? 0.0

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
Don't Panic. It seems for the better.

Disney does NOT want to stop publishing Star Wars game or any other licences. Killing the "LucasArts" name does hurt me, as I have fond memories, but it doesn't make a difference. It may just put any dead horse to rest. The devs will put up a new dev studio and they're golden (apprently, they were suffering more before, due to pancake-poor management. And I can sympathize.)

Now, if they could fund and publish a new Star Wars strategy game, I'd forgive them.
Yeeessss....

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:09 AM »
What it means is that a bunch of people get canned over what is essentially "restructuring."

Can't really say anything about this makes me happy.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
What it means is that a bunch of people get canned over what is essentially "restructuring."

Can't really say anything about this makes me happy.
Masquerades are masquerades, they can't go on eternally. They will get back on their feet. There is even a good chance for them to immediately form a new studio with several contracts from Disney.

But that could have gone less violently, I must concur.
Yeeessss....

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »
Masquerades are masquerades, they can't go on eternally. They will get back on their feet. There is even a good chance for them to immediately form a new studio with several contracts from Disney.

But that could have gone less violently, I must concur.

Yeah... why scrap the games that were so far into development? 1313 was already looking like our last chance to see a game that felt like old-school Star Wars.

Surelle

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
Tim originally mentioned this latest Disney gaming studio shutdown in another thread to which I responded, but I will paraphrase again what I said there, here:  I think Disney was really only aiming to get the SW movie franchise free and clear of big brother's possible interventions.  The game studio probably got packaged along for the ride, and they shut it down because they really weren't interested in it anyway.  Disney has never been a gaming powerhouse to be honest; movies have always been their main focus.

CCP acted similarly when they bought out White Wolf:  They wanted the World of Darkness IP so they could launch an MMO based on it.  They could've cared less about the board games and promptly killed them off or thereabouts.  But again, big brother can be a problem wherever you go.  Look at SOE and Matrix online and SWG:  licensing fees can be a bugger, and you don't need other people with no clue about your area of expertise sticking their noses in when you least want or expect it.  Rumor has it SWG was shut down by Lucas himself, who refused to renew SWG's SW license to make room for the Tortanic.  (That alone shows you what Lucas knows about gaming.  And there are yet other rumors that SWG's infamous NGE came about at the urging of Lucas, who wanted the game to become more WoW-like, but I digress.)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
Rumor has it SWG was shut down by Lucas himself, who refused to renew SWG's SW license to make room for the Tortanic.  (That alone shows you what Lucas knows about gaming.  And there are yet other rumors that SWG's infamous NGE came about at the urging of Lucas, who wanted the game to become more WoW-like, but I digress.)

Heh, well that culprit is one of the reasons I don't care much for Lucasarts these days. I was waiting on the newest management shift to reach fruition before I gave up on them though. This was not the kind of shift I had in mind.

I wish I still had all my notes on all the links I found when I was knee-deep in research on the NGE and Tortanic fiasco. I'd post all my sources if I still had them.

To sum it up though, LucasArts more or less turned into LucasIndustry when Jim Ward took over in 2004. It's questionable who really set this ball rolling, George Lucas or Jim Ward, but it was at this point that the attitude of LA all changed. Ward (perhaps under Lucas's guidance) was obsessed with making LucasArts one of the top 5 game companies, and eventually become #1. As most know, when people involved in sports just so they can win 1st place, they have a tendency to do more harm to themselves than good. They 'might' achieve their goal, but will often become killjoys even to themselves in the process. This brought an end to most of the creativity in the company. It's when L.A. stopped trying to make good games, and started trying to make games that would sell like hotcakes (keep in mind, good games often sell like hotcakes. but not all games that sell like hotcakes are good). This "#1 or bust" attitude of course got SOE caught in a Darth Vader force choke. SOE's vision for SWG, which LucasArts LOVED when it was in development, would never have impressed Ward. And when Ward saw that SWG wasn't selling as well as WoW, demanded that SOE change it. Time for formulas. What's selling? WoW. Logical solution: turn SWG into WoW. the result was the greatest exodus of angry gamers in the history of MMO's. It's an embarrassment that SOE still hasn't been able to shake. There is STILL somewhat of a guerrilla war against SOE today, even though the NGE happened over 7 years ago. It's very similar to how we're treating NCsoft now.

This train of thought didn't go away when Ward stepped down either. It continued on and kept LA getting itself into odd situations. The most notable was selling their soul to the devil (EA Games). Teamed with Bioware (who had given them two VERY lucrative KOTOR games), the dream of WoW-killing wasn't over, so they developed the most expensive MMO in gaming history. "Hey, if it costs far more to make than it did to make WoW, it's gotta be better, right?" Of course, those of us who don't have our heads shoved up our own behinds, know why WoW-killing is blatantly unrealistic. But LA was like a treasure-hunter, killing himself with dehydration while running through the desert chasing a hallucinatory city of gold. I think the TORtanic memes sum up the rest of that chapter of the story.

When Paul Meegan stepped down in 2012, it was seen by many as LA's opportunity to return to its glorious roots. Now sadly, we'll never know what might have happened.