Author Topic: Still listed on Cryptic's site.  (Read 18994 times)

Stormsurge

• Minion
Still listed on Cryptic's site.
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
So, this is Cryptic's home site:

http://crypticstudios.com/#

Both listed on the main page and the Products tab are CoH/CoV. Although there is alsos a disclaimer saying they belong to NCSoft, it's interesting they still list it as part of their resume.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Still listed on Cryptic's site.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
Why wouldn't they?  They developed them initially.  Do you leave a gap in the timeline on your CV just because the business you worked at during that period closed?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »
Indeed.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
would love to know what the secret project is.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
I leave gaps in my resume (and omit years, now) that give away my age. :)

Given how much Jack mentions City of Heroes when he's talking about whatever new game he's promoting, it's still a source of some pride to him, and he knows that it will resonate to people in the industry as well as players. So, yes, they're going to showcase it. Now, Champions, on the other hand...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

SkyStreak

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
I think mentioning CoH on their site is the rough equivalent of a guy who dated Kate Upton mentioning it as often as he can.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »
I think mentioning CoH on their site is the rough equivalent of a guy who dated Kate Upton mentioning it as often as he can.

Who is Kate Upton? Is it a person that should or should not be named dropped if ya dated them ?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »

Champions Online...In Space. 

Defender and other champions fly off to aid Captain Kirk after receiving encryptic message from Spock and they team up to take on the Klingons and space elves.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
Who is Kate Upton? Is it a person that should or should not be named dropped if ya dated them ?

Kate Upton = Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover girl

Some pics for reference

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 01:12:56 AM »

Just... Wow. You don't still have your dude card, do you? ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:59:43 AM »
by the way this article intrigued me though alot of things do. anyways we'll see what comes of my intrigue though I don't suspect much.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:09:07 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »
Just... Wow. You don't still have your dude card, do you? ;)
that case probably just stems from a mixture of no interest in sports thus never picking up sports illustrated or picking up magazines just to look at the women. Like I followed the link for Upton that has been provided and only thought was " ok that is kate upton" and left. Not to mention no interest nor urge to seek out what famous people are doing anymore that I seek out what the guy on  455Alameda street is wearing today assuming there is anyone living there in the first place.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
Sheldon is that you?

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »

when did this secret project get posted?

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »
when did this secret project get posted?

Cryptic has been "initiating development on several new projects" in one form or another since at least March 11, 2007. This likely originally included Star Trek and Neverwinter, as well as the repurposing of Marvel Universe. No telling what they've specifically got in the works now, but it's been a standard marketing line for at least six years.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 04:03:52 AM »
Cryptic has been "initiating development on several new projects" in one form or another since at least March 11, 2007. This likely originally included Star Trek and Neverwinter, as well as the repurposing of Marvel Universe. No telling what they've specifically got in the works now, but it's been a standard marketing line for at least six years.

I was hoping someone would do the work for me and use the way back machine to see the date this current "secret project" was listed on thier website. I have a hunch about it and if the timing is right I am Super Surprised. lets just say that.

Editing: Ok I checked the timing and it is dead on PERFECT!!! september 14th 2011

The way back machine shows that prior to this particular 'secret project' there was another secret project, now I actually got lucky because the way back machine only has records dating back to 2011 for this particular page and I needed to see a previous secret project to determine the start of the current secret project.

The old project was for Atari.

the new project is for a nameless company, or at least one that does not want to be named yet.  :-X

So what does the timing tell me? the project started somewhere /around/ the beginning of 2012. I.E. about 1 year before CoH was put on closing notice.

infact, just enough time for certain discussions between companies to relay back and forth on what was desired aka finalizing the project details and giving the go-ahead on the plan to commence.

Realizations;

NCSoft knows City of heroes is not marketable to asia. so why would they take the time and resources to develop a sequel in a korean company? simple they wont.

if NCSoft wanted to make a sequel to CoH why would they fire paragon? because paragon was barely able to make additions to the original game, obviously creating a sequel would have been too much for them to handle, they were fired because it could be legally objected by paragon if NCSoft were to seek outside help to develop the sequel rather than resorting to the staff at paragon who were supposed to be in charge of that and had the IP leased to them.

in the business world an IP can only be legally leased to 1 company at a time. I found that out with nintendo, they had a game being developed by a lame duck developer who was doing nothing and squating on the IP, they had thier hands tied and couldn't lease the IP to anyone else till the current lease expired.

Also for many who didn't know this; after some really indepth talks with Aeria games I learned that NCSoft is merely a publisher they have no actual ability to edit/make the games they hire other companies to do that.

yes I'm saying what you think I'm saying; this 'secret project' is actually: CoH 2

I don't know who initiated the contact first, but I'm certain that NCSoft and Cryptic have been talking about creating a CoH 2 for months before we were put on notice, thats right NCSoft is turning to a seasoned developer of MMO's and the creator of CoH inorder to get the sequel made. First they had to discuss all the nitty gritty business formalities which took a few months though the project had been put up on cryptic's page. next they needed to make it official they needed the IP lease back from paragon.

when you take away a lease from a company that subsequently gives them no right to even run the product linked to that lease. in effect Paragon would have been left with nothing to do, twiddling thier thumbs and waiting around. - this is the legal aspect NCSoft claimed required the shut-down of CoH. so rather than keep useless employees on the payroll they fired the whole studio.

but CoH /HAD/ to be shutdown for this to happen.

so now the lease went straight to cryptic, and obviously NCSoft wants to keep it secret to surprise us.

Hence why Cryptic has not released a name of a company they are developing for this time.

When paragon employees approached NCSoft to buy the IP NCSoft would not agree to thier terms. why? cause they felt the lease was safer in Cryptics hands for development purposes. now why not just tell them that? because SOME paragon employees would tell someone, and that someone would leak it to us. then it's not a surprise.

so, yeah, Positron is now working at cryptic and cryptic is working on CoH2

I of coarse have no hard evidence to support this except the timing but I'd say it's a dead ringer.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:48:57 AM by Joshex »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 05:19:27 AM »
There are a few holes in your tapestry, there, but not so's you'd notice from across the room.

The biggest one I see is, I recall Posi just doing contract work on the new Klingon tutorial on STO. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he was actually hired on full time.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 06:14:22 AM »
There are a few holes in your tapestry, there, but not so's you'd notice from across the room.

The biggest one I see is, I recall Posi just doing contract work on the new Klingon tutorial on STO. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he was actually hired on full time.
Correct. He did the Klingon stuff on contract - no word on anything further for him. It seems like he's still on contract though, because he wrote an official STO blog post a month or so ago.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 06:14:47 AM »

Last I heard it was contract. But what kind of contract, not sure. Contractor out of another company, or personal self contractor. But the thing about contractor is usually the yare hired to do a job and when it ends or the contract expires, it's back searching for a job or if part of a contracting company, off to another assignment when one arises. Or in some cases a renewal of contract happens but is not guranteed no matter who many times it's been renwed or how many years of work.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
Correct. He did the Klingon stuff on contract - no word on anything further for him. It seems like he's still on contract though, because he wrote an official STO blog post a month or so ago.

sounds promising, completed his task and is still on contract. sounds 'secretive' if I may say so. sorry I guess I'm just hoping what I'm imagining is true.