Author Topic: ICON and the Mini-Map  (Read 12207 times)

Ice Trix

• Boss
ICON and the Mini-Map
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:09:38 AM »
I can use the mini map when in a zone and see the map, but in the mission maps (e.g. caves) it's just blank.
Is that something I can fix somehow, or a limitation of ICON?

(I'm wanting to lift map layouts for RPG adventures)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: ICON and the Mini-Map
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 09:07:11 AM »
The minimaps are stored as textures inside the PIGGs. Use a PIGG viewer to get them.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
Thanks.
Okay I googled and found pigg viewer pro ( http://code.google.com/p/piggtools/ ) which has TonyV's name on it, so assuming that's the right one?
I can see the bin files, but what reads them? Export/Export as/Export All doesn't do a thing.  I can extract a bin file but what should I do with it?

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »
Those aren't what you want, Ice Trix.

The piggs are organized in an utterly messy way..

Give me a bit and I'll see if I can't dig out all the mission minimaps for you.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it would seem mission minimaps are chopped up into pieces, or are one big piece.. of a central area, block, etc..

Which I don't think you're looking for.

Unless you wanna piece them together.. here are some, right from the files:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53520447/Mission%20Minimaps%20Sample.rar

However, if you still want to know how to find the stuff yourself, I'll write up a small guide for it sometime.

:)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:49:53 AM by Arachnion »
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »
Thanks for the effort. Your right though, I'm not after the smaller bits and pieces like that. Oh well.

It would be nice if you get time to do a tutorial at some point as I'm sure there will be other bits I'd like to find.
Be good to rule out if I'm using the wrong program or what not too. I've found .bins and .geos, but unable to export them. I'm using 64bit windows 7, and slightly concerned that's the cause of export not functioning.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:39:22 AM »
Thanks for the effort. Your right though, I'm not after the smaller bits and pieces like that. Oh well.
That's the only way they are stored, probably because the maps were assembled from those parts. The binary map format is not human-friendly either.
Be good to rule out if I'm using the wrong program or what not too. I've found .bins and .geos, but unable to export them.
.bin and .geo are not what you're looking for. First, there are no tools to read them. Second, .geos are model geometry data.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
The binary map format is not human-friendly either..bin and .geo are not what you're looking for. First, there are no tools to read them. Second, .geos are model geometry data.

My bin decoder (command line, not exactly what I'd call friendly). Can read bin files straight out of piggs as well, doesn't need a pigg viewer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zn9x1k3181ox58r/bindump.zip

Geo viewer (collab with Guy Perfect):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5y8d0wsbuyhru1/geodraw.zip

However, that's correct. Neither of those formats is what the OP is looking for. Well, sort of. With bindump you could extract information from bin/minimap.bin about a specific map and how to assemble the smaller textures, but it would be a very painstaking process.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:56:00 PM by Codewalker »

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
The mini-map was probably constructed on the fly by the server. If you were on a team, the map was revealed as anyone on the team went to a new area of the map. So it would take knowledge that the local client didn't have.

I suppose if there was a way to trigger the "reveal" power (that shows the whole minimap when you load a map, that might work. But I still think that's probably done server side.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »
The mini-map was probably constructed on the fly by the server. If you were on a team, the map was revealed as anyone on the team went to a new area of the map. So it would take knowledge that the local client didn't have.
Incorrect. The mini-map was constructed from parts stored on the local machine (which can be found in the PIGGs); this way the server only had to send information about the reveal state rather than the minimap itself.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 12:07:01 AM »
That's what I said. The Server created the mini-map. Doesn't matter if the parts are local if it requires the server to create it.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:06 AM »
That's what I said. The Server created the mini-map. Doesn't matter if the parts are local if it requires the server to create it.

Hmm...

From Codewalker "With bindump you could extract information from bin/minimap.bin about a specific map and how to assemble the smaller textures"

Hmm...

Maybe the client has the info to assemble minimaps itself... but the server is what reveals them when being used..?

:o
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »
The client has the info for minimaps. It's in minimap.bin -- both the pieces of the map with coordinates, as well as the markers that are used for AE mode. It's not trivial to construct by hand, you'd probably need some kind of tool to do it automatically if you want to retain your sanity.

The server just sends "fog of war" updates with what portions of it are revealed. It's even possible to disable the fog entirely clientside and always see the entire map.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »
Very cool, if possible.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
Actually, come to think of it, I wonder if the reason the maps don't show up in Icon is due to the fog. I was a little surprised at the client not loading it automatically, but maybe it is -- but without server updates to the fog area it's blanking out the whole thing.

Try this on a mission map and see if it works:

/accesslevel 10
/nomapfog 1

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »
OK. I'll do it when I get home.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »
No luck.

I tried loading a map and typing in the commands. No bueno.

SO I loaded another map and got some error messages because I was access level 10.

Still nothing. Tried another cave map. Nothing. exited and tried again.

Interestingly, I loaded Pocket D and the map fog was there! Also, as I moved it cleared as per normal. All fog cleared with /nomapfog 1.

/nomapfog 0: restored the fog!

My guess is that Pocket D is zone Map, even though it looks like a mission map. The Zone maps worked exactly as you described, but the mission maps, no.

Whenever I loaded a mission map I got errors saying:
File: maps/Missions/abandoned_tech/Abandoned_Tech_30/Abandoned_tech_SM_30_Layout_01.txt
Last Author/Status:Perforce.cpp failed to connect to Perforce.
No loading screen match found!

I'm wondering if these mini's fail to show up because they are constructed by the mission authoring system and since that is disabled/unavailable, no map.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »
No luck.

I tried loading a map and typing in the commands. No bueno.

SO I loaded another map and got some error messages because I was access level 10.

Still nothing. Tried another cave map. Nothing. exited and tried again.

Interestingly, I loaded Pocket D and the map fog was there! Also, as I moved it cleared as per normal. All fog cleared with /nomapfog 1.

/nomapfog 0: restored the fog!

My guess is that Pocket D is zone Map, even though it looks like a mission map. The Zone maps worked exactly as you described, but the mission maps, no.

Whenever I loaded a mission map I got errors saying:
File: maps/Missions/abandoned_tech/Abandoned_Tech_30/Abandoned_tech_SM_30_Layout_01.txt
Last Author/Status:Perforce.cpp failed to connect to Perforce.
No loading screen match found!

I'm wondering if these mini's fail to show up because they are constructed by the mission authoring system and since that is disabled/unavailable, no map.
There's probably something to that. the game probably randomly selected one of a few dozen maps each time you entered a mission, with the server then assigning the fog/reveal state to it. That's why you can't load them into Icon, because they're not named maps which can be summoned the same way zones can.

at least that's my limited interpretation
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 12:18:46 AM »

Pocket D is definitely a zone map.

List of Zone Maps

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:03 AM »
That makes sense Blondeshell. The Zone's don't actually change. They are the smae no matter what character logs in. But the mission maps vary, so even though the parts are present in the client it doesn't know how to construct them because there is no mission there to assign objectives or victory conditions. All of those have to present/scripted for a mission to work and thus, we don't get them (or the mini-map which would show objectives after a certain amount of the mission was completed) without the server. i'm happy to be corrected on this point however if someone can/will.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »
Mission maps are static, too. Each of the possible variants exists as a full map of its own, that's what the "_Layout_XX" at the end of the name of the map (usually) signifies. There's nothing really special about them, they're just different maps made up from similar looking components. Each layout has its own minimap that's associated with it in minimap.bin. No dynamic assembly of maps is going on.

When you get a mission assigned, the only thing the server sends is which map to load when you zone in. Presumably there's a serverside list of "office maps" that it can randomly choose from.

The one piece of the puzzle that may be missing is the fact that mission maps often have multiple "floors" that exist in various parts of the space. There are map switch markers that tell the game which part of the minimap is associated with that region, but perhaps those aren't being handled fully autonomously.