Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7304976 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #7980 on: July 31, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
Oh, by the way, this is the first post on page 400.  8)

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #7981 on: July 31, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Ding!
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #7982 on: July 31, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
PvP:
It seems to me that many times a game gets "balanced" (nerfed, etc.) because PvP players complain that X or Y or whatever isn't fair & then the game is beaten by the nerf bat to "balance" the powers/ATs/etc. for PvP play.  Perhaps that is because they are the only ones who are vocal about something & so perhaps the devs could be led to believe that this is the opinion of the entire player base.  I'm not dev-bashing here.  To me, the PvP crowd seems to be vastly smaller while the PvE crowd seems to be an overwhelming majority.  The PvE folks seem pretty much happy with the ATs & powers that they were originally given & aren't really complaining about them at all yet they later get pancake-slapped with "balances" for the sake of PvP.

Regarding the posts above about the lack of anyone in the PvP zones, that should have been a good clue that the player base of CoX did not find PvP to be something they were interested in.
I am not advocating against PvP.  I would prefer a game that uses one set of rules/algorithms/etc. for PvE & a different set for PvP.  When you enter PvP, your "PvP build/etc." is loaded & when you enter PvE, the "PvE build/etc." is loaded.  That way, the PvE folks are not contending with things meant to be "balanced" for PvP and vice versa.  I realize that is like building 2 different games.  Well, to me, they are separate.  PvP really IS different than PvE.  They have different goals & objectives.
You do realize that pvp did NOT affect pve in coH right? The "nerfs" to powers in CoH in pve context were for pve context. In pvp powers behaved differently than they did in pve (and received multiple nerfs themselves).

You could also have multiple builds in CoH. So you could have a pve and a pvp build. CoH already has what you asked for... different rules in pve than pvp. That 30 second hold you have in pve...works for 2 seconds in pve etc etc....

Yeah, PvP and PvE were already separate in CoH. Which is a good thing. HOWEVER, the changes that were made to PvP killed the community. I had a BLAST in PvP, and LOVED it. I went away from the game for a while, some changes were made to PvP, and when I came back, PvP zones were ghost towns. It was VERY disappointing. So I think that what you (Neutrio) are saying about the lack of people in PvP zones indicating a lack of interest is false - it's not a lack of interest in PvP per se, it's a lack of interest in PvP AFTER changes were made to it. I do whole-heartedly agree that PvP and PvE need separate powers:

As far as PvP vs. PvE, it's my opinion that an MMO absolutely NEEDS to have the powers separate, as CoH did. This becomes especially important with cash shop games. I played STO for a bit, and there is a huge artificially created divide between PvP and PvE players. Why? Because of the cash shop. Here's what happens: PvP is theoretically supposed to be skill based. You and other players go in to a match, having access to the same gear and skills, and whoever plays better wins. It's part of the basics of any game, from Monopoly to Settlers of Catan to Call of Duty to physical sports. Everyone starts with the same basic stuff, and through skill and training becomes better at the game, and when facing off against opponents can bring their skill and training and work that they've put in to defeat their opponent. BUT, because some items in the cash shop effectively become "I win" buttons, they give certain people an unfair advantage in PvP. When a game is supposed to start with everyone on a level playing field, but some people are able to spend money to get something that guarantees them a win, you're darn right PvP players will call for a nerf.

And so in STO, you get people who are primarily PvE complaining when the item that they paid money for gets nerfed - it feels like a bait and switch. And those complaints are completely justified - if an "I win" device sold on the store that can eliminate a whole map of NPCs suddenly becomes a generic AoE attack, that's upsetting. But the PvP complaints are also justified, for the reasons above - "Pay to win" doesn't really matter against NPCs, since there's nothing to "win" other than perhaps a slightly faster leveling pace. But in PvP, where the game is supposed to be level for all players, it becomes a HUGE issue, as people with more money can buy wins for themselves. And that's not fair.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7983 on: July 31, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
I thought by 400 pages we'd have a "WE GOT IT" message. Well, I didn't think we'd hit 400 before we even GOT TO August.

WOOOOOT anyway

lamer

• Underling
« Reply #7984 on: July 31, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
I was cleaning out my room today when I found my old CoH stuff. It made me sad. This thread keeps it from being an all-out depression, though.

A couple other pics here (including a comic signed by CuppaJo -- now that's an old name to me)

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7985 on: July 31, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
I very rarely comment as I am normally a full time lurker and check this topic every day, but I just wanted to say to the NCSoft guy with the pen:

It's my birthday today, so, like ... y'know ... it would be nice and all ... you get what I'm saying. And by the way, I rarely go on Facebook, so it wasn't me.

Thank you to Ironwolf for updates and always to TonyV for giving the community a place to go.

Page 400, here we come.

Broadback - Guardian server

Hola BB!

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7986 on: July 31, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
You do realize that pvp did NOT affect pve in coH right? The "nerfs" to powers in CoH in pve context were for pve context. In pvp powers behaved differently than they did in pve (and received multiple nerfs themselves).

You could also have multiple builds in CoH. So you could have a pve and a pvp build. CoH already has what you asked for... different rules in pve than pvp. That 30 second hold you have in pve...works for 2 seconds in pve etc etc....

Yeah, PvP and PvE were already separate in CoH. Which is a good thing. HOWEVER, the changes that were made to PvP killed the community. I had a BLAST in PvP, and LOVED it. I went away from the game for a while, some changes were made to PvP, and when I came back, PvP zones were ghost towns. It was VERY disappointing. So I think that what you (Neutrio) are saying about the lack of people in PvP zones indicating a lack of interest is false - it's not a lack of interest in PvP per se, it's a lack of interest in PvP AFTER changes were made to it. I do whole-heartedly agree that PvP and PvE need separate powers:

As far as PvP vs. PvE, it's my opinion that an MMO absolutely NEEDS to have the powers separate, as CoH did. This becomes especially important with cash shop games. I played STO for a bit, and there is a huge artificially created divide between PvP and PvE players. Why? Because of the cash shop. Here's what happens: PvP is theoretically supposed to be skill based. You and other players go in to a match, having access to the same gear and skills, and whoever plays better wins. It's part of the basics of any game, from Monopoly to Settlers of Catan to Call of Duty to physical sports. Everyone starts with the same basic stuff, and through skill and training becomes better at the game, and when facing off against opponents can bring their skill and training and work that they've put in to defeat their opponent. BUT, because some items in the cash shop effectively become "I win" buttons, they give certain people an unfair advantage in PvP. When a game is supposed to start with everyone on a level playing field, but some people are able to spend money to get something that guarantees them a win, you're darn right PvP players will call for a nerf.

And so in STO, you get people who are primarily PvE complaining when the item that they paid money for gets nerfed - it feels like a bait and switch. And those complaints are completely justified - if an "I win" device sold on the store that can eliminate a whole map of NPCs suddenly becomes a generic AoE attack, that's upsetting. But the PvP complaints are also justified, for the reasons above - "Pay to win" doesn't really matter against NPCs, since there's nothing to "win" other than perhaps a slightly faster leveling pace. But in PvP, where the game is supposed to be level for all players, it becomes a HUGE issue, as people with more money can buy wins for themselves. And that's not fair.

Possibly aim more towards this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w&list=UUCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg ?

I didn't play PvP much, but some of the ideas in the vid could help.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7987 on: July 31, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
For the record, with my forum settings, we're only on page 160.

... which is still a lot.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #7988 on: July 31, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »
Dude, after I made my "I'll Be Home for Christmas" video, I got several angry emails accusing me of having my very own private server (because apparently that was the only way I could film) and pitching an absolute FIT for not inviting them to play on it. Half of them were furious for me not telling the community I'd saved the game from NCsoft, and half of them were furious for not making the code public so everyone could open-source work on it.

My only (repeated) reply was "Demorecording" and a link to that page in the Paragon Wiki.

/facepalm

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

I don't think a private server would even be possible, given the complexities of the game code.

As for your predicament ... stop making videos that look so damn good :)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7989 on: July 31, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »
It's my birthday today, so, like ... y'know ... it would be nice and all ... you get what I'm saying. And by the way, I rarely go on Facebook, so it wasn't me.
Birthday buddies! Happy birthday to us! July 31st is best birthday day! We're in the company of Wesley Snipes, Dean Cain, and (meh) JK Rowling!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #7990 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »
For the record, with my forum settings, we're only on page 160.

... which is still a lot.

Wow, it must take you 19 minutes to scroll through each page.... :P
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #7991 on: July 31, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
I was not really into PvP in our game... or in many games for that matter. I'm mostly non-competitive, I just don't care enough. But the PvP environment tended to be very different than in other MMO's. Once, in Warburg, I got into a team of heroes who encountered a team of villains of the same size and, instead of just rushing each other in an all-out brawl, we just approached each other and took turns sparring one-on-one. Total honor system, no one on either side interfered. First and only time I ever experienced that in a PvP environment.

I even found a screenshot from that moment though it doesn't illustrate much. That was some of the villain team over yonder.

"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7992 on: July 31, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »

Always thought it was funny when people say PvP is the reason why powers in PvE got nerfed (That explains why mind/fire doms never got nerfed and actually got buffed because they were so terrible in pvp xD) There is only a set combination of powersets that were considered viable in dueling pvp or team pvp. From what I recall, non of these combination were ever nerfed in pve due to pvp.

For Team PvP:
Emp/ /Emp: Never seen emps being nerfed
Kin/ /Kin: Never seen kins being nerfed due to pvp (Primarily they spam 2 powers (sb, id), those never been nerfed)
Fire/EM Ice/EM Blaster: Never have I seen these blasters get nerfed due to pvp
Sound/Sound: Never seen sonics get nerfed.
Rad/Psi: Only time it was nerfed (for pvp not pve) was the new i13 pvp system where you will drop offensive toggles from any mez

If a nerf for pve was supposed to happen due to pvp, it would have been these powers, but I never seen that happened.

Zubenelgenubi

• Minion
« Reply #7993 on: July 31, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
I have to admit I always enjoyed the replacement ability, low level power blasting even while held/mezzed.

This. Nocturnal Emissions FTW!   ;D
--
PROFESSIONAL Astro-Nerd, thankyouverymuchforasking. Livin' in the Wild, Wild West!

"Ewww... Smells like Science in here!" - My Daughter (age 9)

hufish

• Minion
« Reply #7994 on: July 31, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »
*facepalm*  Tell me you had a blaster named that! :roll:

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7995 on: July 31, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

Sounds like what our cat does at night.............. O.o

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #7996 on: July 31, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
Always thought it was funny when people say PvP is the reason why powers in PvE got nerfed (That explains why mind/fire doms never got nerfed and actually got buffed because they were so terrible in pvp xD) There is only a set combination of powersets that were considered viable in dueling pvp or team pvp. From what I recall, non of these combination were ever nerfed in pve due to pvp.

For Team PvP:
Emp/ /Emp: Never seen emps being nerfed
Kin/ /Kin: Never seen kins being nerfed due to pvp (Primarily they spam 2 powers (sb, id), those never been nerfed)
Fire/EM Ice/EM Blaster: Never have I seen these blasters get nerfed due to pvp
Sound/Sound: Never seen sonics get nerfed.
Rad/Psi: Only time it was nerfed (for pvp not pve) was the new i13 pvp system where you will drop offensive toggles from any mez

If a nerf for pve was supposed to happen due to pvp, it would have been these powers, but I never seen that happened.

I think the notion that PvP led to power nerfs is because the I5 global defense changes and I6 ED 'feature' occurred right after pvp entered the game in I4.  ipso facto

I do think that certain powers being OP were brought to dev attention due to PvP performance.  Hurricane comes to mind.  Also, considering I6 and villains were to arrive with ED in place (with the idea of a crafting system being implemented in the near future), other powers were nerfed from their original state.  However, the perception was that villains and PvP zones were being added led to power nerfs.

If anything, powers did NOT function the same in PvP as PvE (in fact were weaker in regard to controls) and that was something that irritated me (as I played lots of dominators).

SergeantKeroroK66

• Underling
« Reply #7997 on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »
    Selling a game that they closed, effectively admitting that they were wrong, could make them look bad to their business partners at home, which is a much bigger deal. The fact that they're even considering it at all is a minor miracle. The only way such a deal can happen is if it's handled carefully in a way that allows them to save face on the sale.[/li][/list]
    This probably won't make sense to the majority of westerners who were raised with a different value system and have different social rules and expectations. But it's also very, very important to anyone who wants to try to complete a deal such as this one. You can't expect to walk in with a wad of cash and get whatever you want just because you have money. Things like respect are valued far higher. When someone else holds all the cards, sometimes you have to play by their rules to have a chance at getting what you want.

While I agree with the thought(and, yes, I know this was a while ago. I've been sporadically keeping up with this thread), there are some factors that don't make this that cut and dry. Yes, they're selling a game that they closed, and yes, on the surface, it seems like they're admitting that they were wrong, but, if looked upon, deeper, then it could be said, that when they closed the game, it wasn't doing as well, as it used to, and was right to be closed. NOW, I'm not saying that's in any way, shape, or form my opinion, on the matter, that's just what they could say, to save face with their business partners. Now, after over a year and a half of the game being closed, and the fanbase just getting more and more anxious/desperate to play, and with all of the MMO headlines the shutdown brought on, alerting new people of the game, and any revival of said game being huge news, it could be said, that what was a good idea, from a business standpoint, almost two years ago, after all of these new factors come into the playing field, the opposite, at this point in time, would be the best idea. So, from a business standpoint, if they were to go about it like that, I really don't think much face would be lost. And, I do apologize if anybody's brought up this point, before.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
    « Reply #7998 on: July 31, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
    I think the notion that PvP led to power nerfs is because the I5 global defense changes and I6 ED 'feature' occurred right after pvp entered the game in I4.  ipso facto

I do think that certain powers being OP were brought to dev attention due to PvP performance.  Hurricane comes to mind.  Also, considering I6 and villains were to arrive with ED in place (with the idea of a crafting system being implemented in the near future), other powers were nerfed from their original state.  However, the perception was that villains and PvP zones were being added led to power nerfs.

If anything, powers did NOT function the same in PvP as PvE (in fact were weaker in regard to controls) and that was something that irritated me (as I played lots of dominators).

Ya I remember mezes were different from pvp and pve. If I remember correctly the mez last as long as the first one applied once the protection threshold is broken, then the player will have a 15 seconds immunity. Example if you use a 30 second hold and clear the threshold, it would have been 30 seconds, but if it takes you 15 seconds to break the threshold, the mez will only last 15 seconds with a 15 seconds mez immunity until the next stack kicks in. This wasn't an issue for my main duelers (pre i13) because they were ice/rad troller and ice/psi dominator. Even when they have mez immunity, the soft control if -speed and -rech nuttered them so hard, it was like they were still held xD. You think hurricane was OP (dose give repel and -acc/-range, but you still can beat someone who has it on) telekinesis was so ridiculous (you don't need a constant line of sight, just apply it once and they will be constantly repelled unless they pop 6 break frees xD One of the few reason why Mind/Fire doms were beast in pvp)

NegativeIQ

• Minion
    « Reply #7999 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »
    Hey would someone mind putting up a step by step guide of how to download the CoH Icon character creator thing? I don't have CoH installed on my computer anymore and I've tried on several different occasions but it doesn't to work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the game returns!! :)