Author Topic: Paragon Wiki Post-I24  (Read 42937 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Paragon Wiki Post-I24
« on: May 10, 2019, 03:58:39 AM »
It's a brave new post-I24 world out there.  It's full of public and private City of Heroes servers springing up to host game clients that can evolve to suit whatever tastes their particular communities might prefer.

Paragon Wiki has always been a record of the official content of the game client on the live servers.  But there was only one version of the game, and the content on any one server was the same as the content on every other server (though the language it was presented in might be different.)  Going forward, that's no longer going to be the case, and eventually there are probably going to be disagreements about which server is "official" or not.

So, after some internal discussion on how we want to handle Paragon Wiki going forward, we've come to essentially this conclusion:

The state of City of Heroes/Villains as it existed on December 1, 2012, will continue to be the version of the game documented by Paragon Wiki.

While this decision may be revisited at some point, this is Paragon Wiki's policy for the forseeable future.  The wiki will remain a snapshot of a particular reference point in time.

Now, we understand that there is a significant amount of interest in documenting changes made on the new servers, and there are definitely ways to do that.  And Paragon Wiki can still help with that.

1)  The content of Paragon Wiki is licensed under open GNU.  Anyone can make a copy of Paragon Wiki and start their own wiki for their own server.  Wikis made this way can diverge from that point going forward to their heart's content.

2)  A server community may want to create a new wiki, but not copy all of Paragon Wiki, referencing Paragon Wiki for most content and only creating pages specific to their server where it's different.  This can easily be done by setting up an inter-wiki link on the new wiki and transcluding or linking to the content from Paragon Wiki.

3)  Or you can start your own wiki from scratch and go nuts with it.  That's cool, too.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
Re: Paragon Wiki Post-I24
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 10:13:37 AM »
Well, that certainly answers my question.

"Can we add x to the wiki about y server?"

"Nah, this wiki is only for official NCSoft/Cryptic CoH. Go make your own wiki."

"K."

Makes sense, I suppose. My only concern is that this will make ParagonWiki more and more irrelevant over time as things evolve, but if you're fine with it just being a historical record, essentially, so be it.

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »
You're missing an important bit PhiloticKnight.

While this decision may be revisited at some point, this is Paragon Wiki's policy for the forseeable future.

Once we know how NCsoft is responding, more things can be done.

>.> while I can't recommend it, I believe that wikia keeps a copy of paragonwiki still.

Makes sense, I suppose. My only concern is that this will make ParagonWiki more and more irrelevant over time as things evolve, but if you're fine with it just being a historical record, essentially, so be it.

Paragonwiki was made irrelevant in 2012. and yet, work continues.

Many people have continued to dedicate time and effort to hunt down and record things that where rushed at the last min, clean up articles and take advantage of paragonchat (i24 testserver maps) to get pictures of neighborhoods, buildings and whatnot.

Its great that you want to get the new info added in and start on what is hopefully to come. Very commendable attitude, the sort that got this whole crazy project started. We're just worried about the foundation of things right now. 'Slow and steady' isn't a bad method of doing things in the long term, but it can easily chafe.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:39:53 AM by Sleepykitty »
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
>.> while I can't recommend it, I believe that wikia keeps a copy of paragonwiki still.

Yes, it is still there, though woefully out of date. Case in point: the most recent issue listed as a work in progress was Issue 18. It's basically been dead since 2010.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »

Given that the changes in "Issue 25" are mostly QoL / cash shop removal, and power set stuff, Paragon Wiki is still the best and only source for information about story, lore, and mission content.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »

Important to remember that point.  Keep in mind recent decisions are subject to change.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:19:34 PM »
Okay, so I did a thing.

Maybe it will take off, maybe it won't. But I'll be putting some work towards it. I'll can it the MOMENT that the Homecoming team ever puts up an official wiki, but until then, since NOBODY ELSE had done it, and it needed to be done (I felt), I just did it.

Now, I don't really like Wikia/Fandom. I don't like using a commercial service. But it was free, fast, convenient, and I don't have to worry about server management.

We'll see how it pans out, if at all.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »

How long before no response becomes a response?

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 03:21:51 AM »
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

Heliopause

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 09:09:14 PM »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

aeb

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 09:42:44 AM »
I'm glad you made this policy. I understand the frustration of not being able to look up the new stuff. I've felt that frustration myself, playing on Homecoming. However, we need good documentation of the last official version. New groups will pop up, and work from that to change it there way, as I believe servers are doing now. We could wipe out this record, modifying it for one serer, so other servers find it less and less relevant to what they do. We could add notes for each new server, so gradually more pages would have a section at the end saying that Server A had changed X, Y, and Z, while server B had changed V and W, and Server C had changed W, Y, and Z, but W had changed differently enough, it was really W2, while Z had changed these other ways, so it's Z2... and so forth. I don't want to think about having to wade thru all that just to find out how it worked on the server I was using. :)

Let this be a record that folks can use to start a wiki tailored to their server. In the long run, it will be a lot less confusing. ;)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »
So...there comes a time when I think I know most things about CoH, at least as far as best way to get badges, leveling, etc.

And with HC being how it is, they've brought up stories/arcs that were either not published on live at the shut down date, or I somehow missed them.

I like to get my passive accolades as soon as I can on all my characters, but let's face it - hunting at PI docks is best when you're at least level 42, at least, during the old days before shut down.

HC has an SSA that requires level 40 and if you bump it up you can pretty much farm it for the unveiler badge (100 fakes). A lot faster than hunting.
I used to try to get Anton Sampson as a contact and then get Chris Maxwell for fakes, to get as many of those as I could to avoid hunting forever.

But, despite the current Paragon Wiki not being attuned with HC, I still got some great utility just by figuring out who would introduce Anton Sampson.

I was so pleased with Paragon Wiki as a resource, I had to ask myself - who's running this show now? I'd heard Tony stepped down, but can't recall where I read it, nor do I recall who's running it now. Or am I confused?

Either way, where do I make a donation? I didn't see any link for that.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 03:56:40 AM »
Probably read it here.

While the discussion is in progress, PayPal donations for Titan Network have been suspended.  That's all I got for now.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »
Thanks!
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 03:44:16 AM »
Let this be a record that folks can use to start a wiki tailored to their server. In the long run, it will be a lot less confusing. ;)

I'm pleased to say that we now have https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page (I am not the organiser, although I do edit there) and I encourage people playing on Homecoming to come and help knock it into shape. I hope this will at least cut down on people making HC-specific edits on Paragon Wiki.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
I'm pleased to say that we now have https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page (I am not the organiser, although I do edit there) and I encourage people playing on Homecoming to come and help knock it into shape. I hope this will at least cut down on people making HC-specific edits on Paragon Wiki.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help at updating Paragon Wiki, especially with the Praetorian badges. I'll keep working on those.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 11:06:32 PM »
To better reflect PW's status as an archive of information for the game as it existed at sunset, today it has been "rebranded" to Paragon Wiki Archive and has moved to https://archive.paragonwiki.com/.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 12:44:28 AM »
Other than using the "Project:" prefix (and getting used to the new color scheme), is there anything else that is impacted by this change when it comes to editing articles?