Author Topic: Another UPdate on The Grimmy  (Read 18362 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: Another UPdate on The Grimmy
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »
It never rains, but it pours.

A few years back(2009), I lived with room mates in an apartment in South Dakota. Things didn't really work out, as break downs in communication and mishandling of money/bills in general(mostly by said roomies, grummble grumble) resulted in all of us getting thrown out--albeit politely. We packed our stuff, went our separate ways, and that was that...or so I thought.

Some City folks gave me a room to stay in recently, and things worked out well. I got my job offer, and put in for their lease. The job is a go, but it is a work-at-home position. Without a home, I have no job.

The rental application came back denied today because this rental company from 2009 is claiming I now owe them $1900 and change. I have no idea how it could be so much, as rent at the place was barely over $600 monthly, and the space was not trashed or damaged when we left it. They also didn't pursue this debt very hard, because this is the first I've heard of it almost four years later, and I haven't exactly been hiding(my mother's contact info hasn't changed and was on the original rental application, for crying out loud).

I'm...panicking. I have until November 4th to either get some sort of deal brokered with the old rental company, or find a new space that will accept me despite this blemish...or I'm back to square one with no job and no place to live. If anybody has any tips, leads, or knows anybody in the Portland, OR area...now would be a great time to hit up that rolodex and touch base with me. Thank you for listening, guys. It helps more than I can ever express in words.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 03:06:19 AM »
dang dude. I don't know anyone in that area at all. I know someone that does, an ex-cox player, but don't know anyone personally directly so I'm personally useless to your situation. But still cant help to say that the situation you are in sucks and wished I could help.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 04:14:41 AM »
If you lived in Sacramento, I'd be happy to help you out.  I am sorry, but I know absolutely no one in Oregon.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2013, 01:04:31 AM »
Once again, my best advice is to look up your local LDS church and contact the Bishop. There might be a family with a room to rent that he'd know. Sorry I haven't got anything more solid than that.

Talking to the prior rental company and working out a payment plan based on your expected income from the current job and the COL at the new place may be your best bet. If they've not pursued it very hard, they might be willing to work with you in exchange for a clear plan to get the money they feel they're owed.

I know my first apartment out here in TX was $575/month for a tiny two-room thing (a tiny living room/kitchenette with a modest-sized bedroom and attached bathroom). They ARE pay-in-advance, though, so such places might be hard on your means anyway. I doubt they cared about credit, though, because, well, you pay up front.

There are also motels, though those get pricey fast. Still, they're addresses. :(

I strongly suggest getting in touch with the Bishop of your local LDS church. I know it sounds like I'm pushing religion, but I'm really not: the support structures and charity services of the LDS church are very solid, and they do it with NO paid positions so everybody is doing it because they want to help. They get to know you personally and help out to your needs as best they possibly can.

As always, I wish you well and good luck.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 02:59:24 AM »
Segev is right, the LDS are one of the most charitable organizations I've ever dealt with. Someone in need comes first, what religion comes in a distant second.

Understand this is coming from a dedicated heathen.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 07:09:36 AM »
Segev is right, the LDS are one of the most charitable organizations I've ever dealt with.

Provided you're not gay.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »
Provided you're not gay.
What? they don't want you to be cheerful? That's a bummer.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
Provided you're not gay.
I don't think you're asked at the door what your sexual orientation is, first of all, and secondly, I would be shocked to learn charitable aid was refused strictly on such a basis. Believe it or not, we don't hate people for being homosexual. "Hate" and "Servant of Christ" just doesn't work together. (It doesn't mean the church approves of everybody's choices, but you don't have to "hate" anybody to find their choices disheartening.)

The only kind of person who might be turned away is somebody who walked up to the door while spewing anti-mormon venom. Even then, I wouldn't be certain of it, but I would be unsurprised. You don't walk up to somebody and demand help while calling them names. ^^;

Anyway. Regardless of sexual orientation, religion, or whatever, going to the LDS Church for charitable help - especially if you want help working out a specific-to-you program and path towards self-sufficiency - is going to help.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »
I have spoken with both rental companies, and the collections attorneys.

I am basically boned.

The final debt stands at 1500 and change. The collections attorneys are willing to work with me on a payment schedule or even a lower-amount lump-sum settlement, I just don't have it. The current rental company will not re-evaluate my application unless the debt is paid in full or brought below 1000 with a payment plan in place. The collections attorneys cannot--or will not--file any reports on the debt until the debt is paid in full. The charges incurred are, with the exception of a single line item, entirely incurred by my former roomies, who nobody can really track down.

I can't pay this debt without keeping my job, and I can't keep my job without paying this debt. I'm at a loss for what to do, here.

If anybody has any ideas or information, I have a few lines of thinking on this, but I don't know what I can do.

If you want to donate to the 'save Grimm' fund, my paypal is akukaishi@gmail.com
I do NOT expect anybody to do so, this is strictly voluntary.

If you have information regarding a place I could set up my office in the Portland, OR area, my requirements for employment are a landline phone and broadband internet in a quiet setting.

I'm going to be hitting my entire network of contacts in an effort to find a solution. Any assistance is appreciated, even if it's just good thoughts and well-wishing.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
My best advice right now, aside from "talk to the LDS church because there might be some personal help they can point you towards, specific to your situation," is to see if you can get yourself a motel room or a "monthly" or "weekly" rental place to set up in, short-term, pay down the debt to that magical "under $1000," and then re-negotiate with a payment plan in place.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
I have spoken with both rental companies, and the collections attorneys.

I am basically boned.

The final debt stands at 1500 and change. The collections attorneys are willing to work with me on a payment schedule or even a lower-amount lump-sum settlement, I just don't have it. The current rental company will not re-evaluate my application unless the debt is paid in full or brought below 1000 with a payment plan in place. The collections attorneys cannot--or will not--file any reports on the debt until the debt is paid in full. The charges incurred are, with the exception of a single line item, entirely incurred by my former roomies, who nobody can really track down.

I can't pay this debt without keeping my job, and I can't keep my job without paying this debt. I'm at a loss for what to do, here.

If anybody has any ideas or information, I have a few lines of thinking on this, but I don't know what I can do.

If you want to donate to the 'save Grimm' fund, my paypal is akukaishi@gmail.com
I do NOT expect anybody to do so, this is strictly voluntary.

If you have information regarding a place I could set up my office in the Portland, OR area, my requirements for employment are a landline phone and broadband internet in a quiet setting.

I'm going to be hitting my entire network of contacts in an effort to find a solution. Any assistance is appreciated, even if it's just good thoughts and well-wishing.
Hate when that happens. They wont look at the application until they see in writing on the report that the debt is at or below 1000 but even if you pay it down to one $1 it wont reflect on the paperwork until it's paid off in full thus no matter how much you pay off it will still say $1500 on the paperwork and by paperwork I mean the c. report that the apt. rental people use for their checks.

And even if ya go the hotel route, which will get quite pricey, on top of trying to pay off that debt, and then find the apt., to work, ya have to find one with internet connection (IINM) which in itself tricky if it's anything like here, where internet connection in those types of hotels are unheard of even wireless. Landlines, many motels here have it with the cache 22 of it doesnt come with the room but the phone providers wont set up service in motel. Down here you would be royally screwed even though there isnt anything royal about it.

I been in similar situation with room mate, one reason I will never do it again ever. EVER. Luckily though, I had the cash to cover it but thta could have been $2000+ I could have used elsewhere instead of paying for someone else mess.

Man, I hope it works out, never been in that deep of a situation, hopefully never will, because then I wouldnt know what to do. especially out here where the "charity" places never have any help and unless ya have a drug problem or serious issues, then ya on your own. Even the shelters are not taking any more people. They are filled up (it's a hot topic down here though. They are trying to make it a requirement to have ID or some other citizen form to even stay in one of those due to the large amount of illegals taking up the space. On the flip side, many people who end up i nthat situation tend to also get robbed and with it goes their ID stuff so then it would be blocking out a lot of legal people that need the help.)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 06:09:22 PM »
Well, good luck on raising the money to push it below $1000; do all you can, because it's all you can do. Things will work out eventually.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
Has anybody heard anything? It's been several weeks, and last we heard he was hoping to get his apartment situation resolved... Kinda worrisome when the last news wasn't all that good.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
on the back rent issue get a statement of monies owed in writing. also ask for a report of all monies given to the rental people. when you rent there should have been a deposit taken. this is for damages and or non payment. if the renal contract had a deposit taken ask where did it go?? if they did not give it back to you ask for it to be placed on the back rent if there is some. also call your states welfare office they do have places that are section eight they may not be nice but you can put a roof over your head till you can get some where. also ask for free legal help and have the free lawfirm send a letter of bankruptcy to the rental company. the company will then write the debt off.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 05:54:05 AM »
if the renal contract had a deposit taken ask where did it go??

I'm not sure how I feel about this typo.  :o

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
Drake,

Just kicked you a few bucks.  Not enough to cover the rental debt, but hopefully to at least keep you eating.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2013, 08:23:33 PM »
With the donations I've received from this amazing community, I have now been able to pay off the debt. The debt payment will report on Monday. On Tuesday, I can find out what I need to do to get re-screened by the current rental company.

Thank you, everybody who supported me during this time. Your kindness, generosity, and emotional support during these times has been nothing short of heroic. You have proven, beyond any measure of doubt, that they can take us out of the city, but they can't take the heroes out of us. I have never cried so much before in my life.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel once again, and I can almost see the rest of the path on the other side. For the first time in a long time, I genuinely believe I have a chance to make it. Thank you again, I cannot say it enough.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2013, 03:57:20 AM »
Well, to quote Mercedes Lackey ( not to mention your sig)

And...

We are Heroes. This is what we do.  ;)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 06:35:37 AM »
so glad to finally hear something from you again!