Author Topic: Incoming question...  (Read 7016 times)

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
Incoming question...
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »
Ok, I'm kind of dumb and never really been good at computers, so I don't fully understand this. I still have CoH installed (I'll never remove it) and I very much wanna play with this, especially if the end goal is to allow us to play the full game again (missions and/or spawns) even if it's just all alone on our own. (I can live with that) so can someone fully explain this for me? I have windows 7, do I just download this and drop it into the folder with CoH stuff and use it? It takes care of the rest? Does it do any perminate damage to it? Seemed I read somewhere it makes some drastic changes to the MAC install, I wanna play with this but I wanna be sure I can still use it if it ever comes back some how. Will I have access to all the AT's and costumes so far? (and if so does that include paid for powersets and costumes, do I log in with my account?)
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Incoming question...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
I have windows 7, do I just download this and drop it into the folder with CoH stuff and use it? It takes care of the rest?

Precisely right. Drop it into your main CoH folder, where the coh.exe file is. Then, you can make a shortcut to icon.exe to put on your desktop, or wherever.

Does it do any perminate damage to it?

It makes no changes at all; it just uses what's there.

Will I have access to all the AT's and costumes so far? (and if so does that include paid for powersets and costumes, do I log in with my account?)

You don't need to log in at all. And, yes, you can make any archetype, and the costume creator is complete.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:53:42 AM »
I still have CoH installed (I'll never remove it) and I very much wanna play with this, especially if the end goal is to allow us to play the full game again (missions and/or spawns) even if it's just all alone on our own. (I can live with that)
An important thing to understand is that Icon is not meant to be a "single player mode" or a server replacement.
Rather, it's a fringe benefit of resarch and documentation producced for a project that is.
do I log in with my account?)
Account data was stored server-side. To all intents and purposes, your account is gone.
It's not neccessary, though - Icon enters character creator immediately upon launch.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. :)

Precisely right. Drop it into your main CoH folder, where the coh.exe file is. Then, you can make a shortcut to icon.exe to put on your desktop, or wherever.

It makes no changes at all; it just uses what's there.

You don't need to log in at all. And, yes, you can make any archetype, and the costume creator is complete.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
Do I understand you right? You're saying Icon isn't to allow us to get back in and play alone or on our own servers itself, but comes from a current project TO allow us to do that? So there are people working on giving us either single player or letting us run our own servers? (or am I hoping too much)

And I mostly ask about account stuff, cause I was a very long time Vet and had many things (costumes, powers, and such from the store, both DVD editions of the game, plus the other editions) and wonder if I'd still be able to use things (in Icon) such as wings, Cape of the Four Winds, that one Ninja Outfit, ect.

An important thing to understand is that Icon is not meant to be a "single player mode" or a server replacement.
Rather, it's a fringe benefit of resarch and documentation producced for a project that is.Account data was stored server-side. To all intents and purposes, your account is gone.
It's not neccessary, though - Icon enters character creator immediately upon launch.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »
Do I understand you right? You're saying Icon isn't to allow us to get back in and play alone or on our own servers itself, but comes from a current project TO allow us to do that?
Pretty much.
So there are people working on giving us either single player or letting us run our own servers?
Yes.
And I mostly ask about account stuff, cause I was a very long time Vet and had many things (costumes, powers, and such from the store, both DVD editions of the game, plus the other editions) and wonder if I'd still be able to use things (in Icon) such as wings, Cape of the Four Winds, that one Ninja Outfit, ect.
Icon unlocks every costume piece in the game.
If something doesn't work in the regular mode, run it in NPC mode and you will have access to everything including NPC-only costume pieces.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
*passes out from shock and happiness* My heroes. <3

Pretty much. Yes.Icon unlocks every costume piece in the game.
If something doesn't work in the regular mode, run it in NPC mode and you will have access to everything including NPC-only costume pieces.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
Might I suggest the Issue 24 Client if you don't have it already?

http://www.savecoh.com/p/download-issue-24-beta.html

Contains new (if you've never seen em before that is), full costume sets, the new (unfinished at the time of closure) Kallisti Wharf map, and more!

Works the same way as Icon does with any other version of the game.

If you're unsure how to install it/download it/set it up, perhaps use another suitable computer you own?

Enjoy yourself!

:)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:17:25 PM by Arachnion »
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
Ok, so here's another question. So from what I got out of this thread, Icon comes from a project to help us either play alone or play on our own servers, hopefully with friends, and something that will be shared so anyone who wants to make a server can. I'm wondering if this project has a name and is their any info on their progress or how one might help? I'm no programmer, but I have friends who are and loved this game too and I'm sure they'd love to help or at least know about it like me.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:50:58 PM »
There's some reverse-engineering happening behind the scenes, unrelated to the Titan Network community.

It's not public.

Regarding Icon: "Rather, it's a fringe benefit of resarch and documentation producced for a project that is."

What Fifth meant by this is that Icon was made through the research and documentation gained through the reverse-engineering project sharing some work.

If you wanna follow a public server project, there's http://segs.nemerle.eu/.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4993.0 http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8011.0.html

It is working off an old version game recreation however, I2 or I3 perhaps.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:05:04 PM by Arachnion »
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 11:40:15 PM »
I2 or I3? Boy I'll take what I can get lol. I love this game. Thank you so much for sharing this info, you have no idea what a project like this means to me.

There's some reverse-engineering happening behind the scenes, unrelated to the Titan Network community.

It's not public.

Regarding Icon: "Rather, it's a fringe benefit of resarch and documentation producced for a project that is."

What Fifth meant by this is that Icon was made through the research and documentation gained through the reverse-engineering project sharing some work.

If you wanna follow a public server project, there's http://segs.nemerle.eu/.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4993.0 http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8011.0.html

It is working off an old version game recreation however, I2 or I3 perhaps.