Author Topic: I miss just being able to log into the city  (Read 15538 times)

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
Re: I miss just being able to log into the city
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 03:20:58 AM »
I logged on during the final day, even bought supplies and such determined to stick it out to the end, but ultimately within thirty minutes I logged out. I'd said my goodbyes. I logged on with each of my characters, snapped a few parting screens, logged out, and then uninstalled the game.

...before grabbing the final screens.

*Facepalm*
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 10:02:17 AM »
Ahhh I keep meaning to do this! Are the demos pre-recorded or do you have to already have them? I lost all my recorded videos...

You need to have the demo records in order to play them, but that's what's in that zip file Megajoule put up. You can use those to float around most of the zones (there's a couple missing but 95% of them are there).

There are also people working on making their own brand new demo records through the magic of programming. That is not a magic I know, but if you look around or ask in the demo recording section of the forums, there's more info there.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »
You need to have the demo records in order to play them, but that's what's in that zip file Megajoule put up. You can use those to float around most of the zones (there's a couple missing but 95% of them are there).

There are also people working on making their own brand new demo records through the magic of programming. That is not a magic I know, but if you look around or ask in the demo recording section of the forums, there's more info there.

I'm doin it. I desperately want to see the zones, even if it's just 95% of them. What a great thing to have available though! Screenshots and demos of all of the zones!

I'm curious about how they can make new demos.

And have you heard of the SEGS project?
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
I logged on during the final day, even bought supplies and such determined to stick it out to the end, but ultimately within thirty minutes I logged out. I'd said my goodbyes. I logged on with each of my characters, snapped a few parting screens, logged out, and then uninstalled the game.

...before grabbing the final screens.

*Facepalm*

Hey, Rust, I'm not sure if you downloaded the demos yet BUT if you go to YouTube and search "paragon city tours" you can find a series of videos for every. Single. Zone including kings row and independence port. The videos include the music and ambience. Found them today and watching them at work :)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 07:30:50 PM »
I'm curious about how they can make new demos.

Go to the demo recording section ( http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,167.0.html ). Look around in there, and ask some questions. That should tell you what you'll need to start making your own. Those people are wizards, I swear.

And have you heard of the SEGS project?

Yes and it sounds fantastic. I haven't had a chance to test it out though, sadly. I'd love to... in fact I'd love to be able to dig in and help root out bugs and such, too... but my schedule's kind of flaky. I can get called away to go deal with something in the house here at any moment, and I never know if it will take two minutes or twenty. I just don't feel right volunteering for something when I can't be sure I can actually give them my time.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:23 AM »

I couldn't log as much time as I would have liked in the end either. At first it was because it was really painful to log on. Then I came back and played fervently but, well, life got in the way a bit. I did take Safehouse over to Atlas to hold the torch more than a few times, even if I wasn't at the end.

PS that nightfall picture made me so sad.

For some reason it's only lately that I've cried a lot about CoH. I was strangely numb about it in the months around the closure. Then after it closed I kind of kept moving on with my life. Then, all of a sudden, I was (and am) devastated by the loss. The music, Paragon Wiki and my fanfic have become a bit of an obsession of mine lately. I've used Icon a few times but each time I've started crying haha.

OH, btw I totally just followed you on deviantart. Jus' sayin' if you see A-S-Thombarr on your watchers' list that's me :)

Ah! You're A-S Thombarr! :D I am always happy to see new Watchers, especially those who know City of. But I really like it when I can put two and two together. :D And having multiple social networks is really cool. In terms of missing CoH, I go in phases. I always seem to think about it and miss it, but some days are worse than others. Usually on a super bad day or if I'm stressed I get weepy over it. Some days I get really low and feel like there's no hope. Then other days I can take it in stride and have that small, quiet hope. It's one of the reasons I love the DA groups on CoH (which was actually how I found out about it closing... that was a real downer) and this Forum. I find that ICON is hard, especially with my favorites because I can't go that extra step to run around in game and use them.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Ah! You're A-S Thombarr! :D I am always happy to see new Watchers, especially those who know City of. But I really like it when I can put two and two together. :D And having multiple social networks is really cool. In terms of missing CoH, I go in phases. I always seem to think about it and miss it, but some days are worse than others. Usually on a super bad day or if I'm stressed I get weepy over it. Some days I get really low and feel like there's no hope. Then other days I can take it in stride and have that small, quiet hope. It's one of the reasons I love the DA groups on CoH (which was actually how I found out about it closing... that was a real downer) and this Forum. I find that ICON is hard, especially with my favorites because I can't go that extra step to run around in game and use them.

Yup the past two weeks for me have been really hard. To my surprise I didn't really think about CoH/V/GR for a while following its closure. I bottled it up and then it all came out in one big, awful wave, last week. Actually, trying out ICON triggered it. I went the extra step and tried to log on and when it said "servers are busy" it struck me and I melted down haha. There is the SEGS project, which I'm following, but mostly I'm trying to move on with life, to little success.

And yep! That's me!

MWDarkAge

• Underling
  • I AM THE LAW!
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:59:30 PM by MWDarkAge »

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
*serious eye-crossage*

tl;dr - Good story, but carriage returns are your friends.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
Sadly I only have a few screenshots and memories

Well, it's not the entire city back, but have you looked into Icon? Here's the thread for it.

So far, Codewalker's been able to let us use the character creator, then log into the city and run or fly around. The latest patch even put most of the contact NPCs in their proper places. We can summon NPCs wherever we like, and we can use emotes on them or ourselves (through things called MOVs, the Wiki page has full instructions), as well as load costumes onto them or ourselves. Heck, we can even roam around AS the NPCs.

It's not the same, but it's a heck of a lot better than a big gaping void. If nothing else, it's great for screenshots you didn't get the chance to take.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »
tl;dr - Good story, but carriage returns are your friends.

I can totally understand. Sometimes, you just have to get it out. I've even left out punctuation, but I went back after it was all down and stuck that stuff in. I think this was pretty emotional for him/her to get through.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

MWDarkAge

• Underling
  • I AM THE LAW!
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
It looked fine when I typed it in WORD  ;)

I guess cut-n-paste wasn't the way to go.

Sorry for the eyesore, but it was a bit emotional (still is) and
a form of impromptu therapy.

About ICON... The newest update where there are some
NPC's and Ms. Liberty might have been what brought on
this nostalgia.

BUT as always you former players are truly understanding and
wonderful for the support.

Thanks!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »
I think you should still have an "Edit" or "Modify" link, if you like. I thought it gave it a "breathless" feel in reading it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »
Sorry for the eyesore, but it was a bit emotional (still is) and
a form of impromptu therapy.

About ICON... The newest update where there are some
NPC's and Ms. Liberty might have been what brought on
this nostalgia.

Ahhh, gotcha... yep I think most of us know that feeling. Icon, while wicked awesome, can really poke a stick into the feels sometimes.

Here, have some moral support and stuff.  :D

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:04 AM »
Hey, Rust, I'm not sure if you downloaded the demos yet BUT if you go to YouTube and search "paragon city tours" you can find a series of videos for every. Single. Zone including kings row and independence port. The videos include the music and ambience. Found them today and watching them at work :)

I don't cry. I have not cried since about 1990. I don't know why not. Sometimes I remember what it feels like.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 03:27:59 AM »
I don't cry. I have not cried since about 1990. I don't know why not. Sometimes I remember what it feels like.

I was like that. Then my son was born. I'm not saying I've cried since then, but there've been some near misses...

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 04:46:19 AM »
Guys. Just want to say - keep your hopes up. Between the various efforts of SEGS and other parties, I have little to no doubt that before too long we'll all be able to meet up in Paragon City.

There is an old Jewish tradition started during the diaspora before the founding of Israel in the 40s.

Jewish families would toast at certain occasions (such as Hanukkah or Passover) with the phrase "Next year in Jerusalem!"

Well - I propose a toast - "Next Christmas in the Ski Chalet!"  ;D

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 04:54:58 AM »
/em raises a glass.  "Next Christmas in the Ski Chalet!"
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 05:42:12 AM »
Next Christmas in the Ski Chalet!

/em raises a glass (of milk--Cap doesn't drink!)

(OOC, I'll take a cold bottle of Guinness, please. ;))

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »
Next year in the Ski Chalet!
/em raise a pint of Guinness