Author Topic: Draft: Read This First! / Mission Statement (Assistance Requested!)  (Read 3373 times)

Nafaustu

• Boss
Please note:   This is a draft, its going to go through 11ty billion revisions!   I may even stop in the middle of thoughts to save material as I am working on this during breaks at my job.  I would LOVE feedback and suggestions, but please be kind.  Also, trying to catalog everything on the forums will be grueling, so if you see something i've missed, post it here or pm me please!  :D

So its been drawn to my attention in other threads that we have a lot of people who either do not know what has already been done, or feel there is only one way to deal with this.   Some of these might be Unicorns but a lot of them (most of them) are just frustrated and uninformed.   And those of us who are informed, but equally frustrated, are not always putting our best face forward in attempts to inform our newest members.   This is not productive.

This thread is going to be an effort to alleviate the fracturing our community is starting to suffer under the strain of our nigh impossible, self imposed task.   Let us all remember, in the face of this task, that we are Heroes and this is what we do.

Mission Statement:    Save City of Heroes

From the very beginning, we have recognized it was incredibly unlikely that we would be able to stop the servers from going dark.   This was our most pleasing of potential outcomes, our "Plan A," but it was the mother of all longshots.  People of noble professions recognized this almost immediately, that is why they gave us Sentinel + to save our characters in stasis in the hopes someone could give the server a wakie after the battle is done.  The Mythical "Plan Z," a game designed as a spiritual successor to City of Heroes, was launched into proto development with the understanding that we would begin crowd-funding when we knew there were no other options.   There are, however, a lot of letters between A and Z.

So if that's the case, what do we mean when we say Save City of Heroes?   We mean a lot of things.   We mean to introduce ourselves and make ourselves viable to the friends we still have within NCSoft.   We need to be taken seriously, which means we need to unite.  TonyV has done an admirable job directing and leading, but he cannot do this alone.  We speculate that this might be a tax write off for NCSoft and that in the future after its purpose is served, NCSoft might be more willing to negotiate with the investors we know have lined up.   Some of those investors are part of this community.   Even if it doesn't happen tomorrow, someone might acquire the rights to the IP and get a license for the cryptic engine.   Or perhaps they will Make CoX II.   We have no way of knowing.   Somehow, some way, we want this game and its community to not die.

Making it Happen:

This is where we come in.   We must stay positive, constructive and Reasonable in our efforts to convince NCSoft that we are serious, viable and respectable.

Community Correspondences:
(Links to individual stickied or previously sticked letters to all of us, and the testimonials and ic testimonials thread will go here)

Active Calls to Action:

Previously discussed (and sometimes discarded!) ideas:
(Links to things like the stock discussions and the correlations between companies will do here)

External Websites with Similar Goals:
External support pages that aren't exactly media outlets
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:32:06 PM by Nafaustu »

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
Re: Draft: Read This First! / Mission Statement
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »
psst... "frustrated" is the correct spelling.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »
Kheprera handled the spelling.

But otherwise, well said.  It sounds to me like you're summing up the scattershot approach we're still taking.  I agree with what you said and how you've characterized it, now we need to begin work on finding a more united approach to this.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
psst... "frustrated" is the correct spelling.

Keep an eye on me, i'm slightly dyslexic and I don't have access to a spellchecking browser at work.  (And i'm nervous about using the integrated software because the system mirrors too much of it what is in it, saved or not.) :P   So i'll need the help.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »
Not a problem.  I'm sure I'm not the only Grammar/Spelling Nitpicker here.  :D

Nafaustu

• Boss
Re: Draft: Read This First! / Mission Statement (Assistance Requested!)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:34:30 PM »
I'm trying to dig up the best examples of all the repeatable topics on the forums to help new people know where we have been and what we have done (and so we do to).   Its slow going as i'm browsing by the board and I know I will miss things others feel important.   I've dug up most of the big things so far I think (Still missing the testimonials thread, and some of the TonyV community correspondances), but if anyone has any suggestions, i'd appreciate them getting tossed my way.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »
For the "legal action" stuff, I suggest the "Legal Considerations and Challenges" thread, found at http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4955.0.html.  (Full disclosure: Yes, I'm the one who started that thread.)  I've tried to cover all the ideas raised in other law-related threads there, and I try to post links to it when there's a legal discussion elsewhere, just because it has extensive, extensive discussions of the basic issues that keep cropping up.  It's where I direct people when I see someone propose a plan to sue NCSoft that looks unworkable (to me, anyway), where I send people with basic IP questions, and where I'll post any future developments or viable legal plans that anyone thinks up.  It also has a lot of handy links people have contributed.

Edit: The reference to the thread about the Korean cultural concept should be "Korean Kibun."

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »
For the "legal action" stuff, I suggest the "Legal Considerations and Challenges" thread, found at http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4955.0.html.  (Full disclosure: Yes, I'm the one who started that thread.)  I've tried to cover all the ideas raised in other law-related threads there, and I try to post links to it when there's a legal discussion elsewhere, just because it has extensive, extensive discussions of the basic issues that keep cropping up.  It's where I direct people when I see someone propose a plan to sue NCSoft that looks unworkable (to me, anyway), where I send people with basic IP questions, and where I'll post any future developments or viable legal plans that anyone thinks up.  It also has a lot of handy links people have contributed.

Edit: The reference to the thread about the Korean cultural concept should be "Korean Kibun."

Noted and updated on both counts, thank you :)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »
If folks agree, seeing as a 'Gangnam Style' paraody is already referenced, would it be useful to add the idea of potential NCSoft 'memes' to this list?

I created a photobucket account called MMOKiller and put the images I've already created there :-

MMOKiller - Photobucket

Here's the thread about this subject at the forum here :- MMOKiller/GameKiller meme images

I'm happy to also upload other folks' NCSoft meme-type images to the site if anyone has any (feel free to drop me a PM). The idea of making this account was so people could find (then download and hopefully spread!) amusing visual gags and memes with an NCSoft theme, all handily accessible in the one place.

There are also uncaptioned images there should anyone wish to download them and add their own words (but please keep with the idea of funny and not insulting!).

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
If folks agree, seeing as a 'Gangnam Style' paraody is already referenced, would it be useful to add the idea of potential NCSoft 'memes' to this list?

I created a photobucket account called MMOKiller and put the images I've already created there :-

MMOKiller - Photobucket

Here's the thread about this subject at the forum here :- MMOKiller/GameKiller meme images

I'm happy to also upload other folks' NCSoft meme-type images to the site if anyone has any (feel free to drop me a PM). The idea of making this account was so people could find (then download and hopefully spread!) amusing visual gags and memes with an NCSoft theme, all handily accessible in the one place.

There are also uncaptioned images there should anyone wish to download them and add their own words (but please keep with the idea of funny and not insulting!).

Added the forum link (I'm presuming the forum link links to the image file account :) )